Tips for Long Distance Moving for Residents of Atlanta, GA & Beyond
Long distance moving can be a challenge, but it can also be an exciting experience if you’re well prepared. Whether you’re leaving the Atlanta, Georgia, area, or making yourself at home here, there are a few steps you can take to ensure that your moving day goes as smoothly as possible.
The following strategies will help you prioritize your to-do list and get you completely ready for the big day:
- Get started early – A big mistake people make is underestimating how long everything takes. From finding a good long distance moving company to cleaning out your place, certain things take time, so make sure to start early so you’re not scrambling last minute.
- Eliminate excess junk – If you don’t absolutely need it or love it, don’t bring it. Many people make the mistake of moving too many things they later realize they could’ve done without. A good rule of thumb: Calculate the volume of any questionable items and multiply it by your cost per cubic foot to move it or place it in storage. Then ask yourself if you would pay that much for the item at your new destination. If the answer is no, dump it, sell it, or donate it.
- Mark your boxes – Mark your boxes with the room they need to go in and you’ll save yourself, and your moving company, a lot of time and extra effort.
- Follow up on everything – Call your movers and your car shipper (if you have one) a few days before your move to confirm they date and time they’re going to show up. It would be unfortunate to have to reschedule a flight or rearrange your schedule because of any no-shows.
- Be courteous to your movers – Long distance moving is back-breaking work, so give your movers some bottled water and tip them if they did well. They will be appreciative.
If you’re looking for a long distance moving company in the Atlanta, GA, area that you can trust, consider turning to the professionals at Bulldog Movers. We are a fully licensed, bonded and insured mover with decades of industry experience. Contact us today for a free quote and see why we’ve been earned the Consumers’ Choice Award for nine consecutive years.